East Beaches History - A Timeline

More more information on the History and Heritage of the entire St. Clements area, visit the St. Clements Heritage website by clicking here.

1732-1734

LaVerendrye came through the area past Elk Island and down to the Red River.

 

1766

The Northwest Company used the above route to paddle to the Red River

 

1783

LaVerendrye’s son mentioned the area ‘Grand Marais’ in a letter sent home.

 

1812

Lord Selkirk received a grant of land for immigration of settlers into Rupertsland and the Red River. 

 

1821

The Hudson’s Bay Company and the North West Company amalgamate.

 

1840

Elk Island officially named.  Previous names were Isle Aux Biche in 1732, Stage Island in 1766 and Isle of Hinds in 1782.

 

1859

New steam technology brings settlers from the East and depletion of the buffalo affects the Metis people in the Red River Colony.  They change their lifestyle from buffalo hunting and farming to fishing and/or trapping and farming.

 

1870

Colonel Wolseley used the Winnipeg River system to transport his military expedition to the Red River settlement to suppress Louis Riel's provisional government. They camped on Elk Island in August, 1870. Captain Huyshe, a member of the expedition, predicted in his book that this area, with its pure sands, would be the "Brighton [England] of Winnipeg Belles."

 

1889

Grand Beach Logging Mill opens.

 

1913

Little Elk Island name changed to Victoria Beach.  (Folklore:  Victoria Beach was once an island.)

 

1914

Canadian Northern Railway bought 150 acre homestead, later to be known as Grand Beach, in order to develop a camp ground.

1916

First Train in Grand Beach.  Officially Grand Beach and Victoria Beach Post Offices open.

1916

Rates on the Moonlight express train were 50 Cents return fare, weekend fare $1.75, and 1st Class Sleeping accommodation were $4.50 for Saturday through to Monday.  Train departures were at 12:00 pm, 1:05 pm and 5:20 pm.  The noon train left Grand Beach at 7:30 pm.

1917

Dance Hall was built for $40,000.00 and the boardwalk was constructed.

1919

Lots for tents only were leased by the railway.  Dance Hall officially opened.  One dance cost a nickel.

1920

The Grand Beach Hotel was built for $50,000.00.

1920

Thompson Lumber Mill is opened on the Victoria Beach Peninsula.

1920

Canadian Air Force Station is established in Victoria Beach-Forest Fire Protection Service.

 

1921

Beaconia Post Office officially opens.

 

1922

Grand Beach was taken over by the Crown owned Canadian National Railway from the Canadian Northern.

 

1923

The Canada Railway News Company acquired the lease for Grand Beach.  Grand Marais Post Office officially opens.

 

1926

Stead Post office opens.

 

1934

Return train fare cost $1.00, and $2.20 for both ways.  The Board Walk was built.

 

1939

Hotel rates were $1.25 to $2.25 for a single and $2.00 to $2.25 for a double.

 

1940

600 campsites in Grand Beach.

1940-1950

One dance is now a dime at the Dance Hall.

1950

Claudia McPherson was the first to swim Lake Winnipeg in 10 foot waves.  The carousel was torn down and ice destroyed the pier.

 

1950

the Dance Hall burnt to the ground on September 4.

 

1953

Hydro Power came to Beaconia, Grand Marais, Grand Beach, Powerview.

1954

Hydro Power came to Victoria Beach.

1955

Hydro Power came to Albert Beach.

1961

Grand Beach was purchased by the Manitoba Provincial Government for $225,000.00

 

1962

The Grand Beach Hotel was torn down.

 

1963

The train now only ran to Beaconia and Pine Falls.

 

1970

Elk Island was purchased by Grand Beach Provincial Park.

 

1976

St. Clements Fire Department divides into Grand Marais Fire and East Selkirk Fire Departments.

 

1988

East Beaches Area suffers high winds and severe damage in June. Most areas such as Grand Marais are without power for days. Some parts of RM of Victoria Beach do not have hydro for more two weeks.  

2006

On August 5, one woman was killed and three other people were injured when a tornado struck a campground at Gull Lake, wrecking boats, uprooting trees and destroying or severely damaging nearly all of the 23 trailers and cabins in the area. The tornado touched down at Patricia Beach at 5:19 p.m. local time before moving through Gull Lake. Storm damage was also reported in the nearby communities of Lac du Bonnet, Pointe du Bois, Beaconia and Grand Marais.  

2010

Tembec announced the permanent closure of its newsprint mill located in Pine Falls, Manitoba. The mill had been indefinitely idled due to a lock out of its employees on September 1, 2009.  
     

 

back to top